Shakshuka – Arabic Eggs
A fabulously tasty way to eat eggs. There are many versions of Shakshuka. I hope mine does the authentic version justice. This recipe is vegetarian but you can add spicy sausage eg Chorizo or bacon to make a more substantial meat eaters dish. Just fry off the sausage or bacon when you add the onions & garlic. This version is based on the Shakshuka by Dr Shakshuka in Tel Aviv.
What You Need
4 large eggs
1 450g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 medium re onion (chopped)
1 large sweet red pepper (cut into a large dice)
1 large garlic clove (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon zaatar
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch chilli flakes
How To Make It
1. Heat the oil in a deep sided frying pan with a lid. When hot add onion, garlic, peppers & chilli flakes. Fry until soft
2. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and half tablespoon zaatar. Fry for 2 minutes
3. Crack the eggs individually on top of the tomato mixture. Cover and leave on a low heat for 5 minutes or until the egg whites have set and yolks are still soft, for hard yolks leave to cook for 10 minutes.
4. Season eggs with salt & pepper. Sprinkle the remaining zaatar over the top of the eggs.
5. Serve with warm Arabic bread or warm pitta. Or for a low carb meal serve with a green salad