This dish was inspired by the dish from the Disney film Ratatouille! It’s a baked ratatouille and looks so pretty as well as tasting delicious. It’s really worth taking the time to do the layering of the veggies.
Serves 4 as a side or 2 as a main dish
What You Need
2 red peppers
1 red onion (chopped)
2 large cloves garlic (crushed)
400g tin mutti finely chopped tomatoes or passata
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 180C (356F)
How To Make It
1. Using a mandolin finely slice the courgettes, aubergine and red peppers. Keep them in separate piles and mind your fingers!
2. Pour the tomatoes into a 24cm square roasting dish. Sprinkle the onions, garlic and herbs over the tomatoes. Season well.
3. Arrange the vegetables in rows on top of the tomato mixture eg one row of courgette, one row aubergine, one row pepper. This takes time but it’s well worth it! If the veggies start to slip and want to lie flat gently push them to stand them back up. Continue arranging the beggies until the dish is full.
4. Drizzle the top of the veggies generously with olive oil, sprinkle with more herbs and season well.
5. Cover with tin foil
6. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes until the tomatoes are bubbling
7. Enjoy as a side with fish or meat or as a main dish with big hunks of crusty bread